Mold in your property can become a growing problem that requires immediate attention. Buildings with moisture issues, or that have had flooding recently (or in the past) are most at risk for mold growth that could be highly toxic and deadly.
I’m Chris Parks with North Star Services, LLC and I’m going to tell you what to do if you see mold in your home, business, or other property you own or manage.
What Causes Mold
Mold is fungi and grows from microscopic spores that are virtually everywhere. In order to grow, mold needs oxygen, moisture, a food source and the ideal temperature range (77F-86F). Mold (and mildew) is commonly found in a humid and damp environment often the result of a slow leak in plumbing, a hole in the roof, under a carpet or within a wall, drywall or the foundation. Believe it or not, mold begins growing within 24-48 hours of moisture intrusion and the only way to remove it from your property is by proper mold remediation by a licensed company.
Can Mold Make Us Sick?
Apart from being extremely unsightly, mold can also be dangerous if it is widespread as it can cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems both in healthy individuals and those who are suffering from asthma. Some types of molds are known for producing a toxic substance called mycotoxin which can pose an even more serious threat to your health.
If you find your family or employees are getting sick more often with respiratory issues like sneezing or coughing after being in your home or business, this could be a sign of mold growth. It’s important to take care of any mold that’s growing in a home or business so that illness can be prevented and the air you and others are breathing is clean and free of any toxins.
The first step of the mold remediation and removal process is to establish exactly where the mold is growing. Sometimes, it isn’t easy to find. Many times, you’ll smell a musty odor. When you see or smell mold it’s time to contact local mold experts trained and licensed in mold remediation (such as North Star Services, LLC in Middle Tennessee and Nashville). Besides causing ongoing damage to your home, mold can worsen allergies and respiratory issues. So don’t delay initiating the process to remove it.
During the inspection of your home, business or property, a certified, licensed professional will investigate for moisture causing the mold, and develop a plan to prevent further water damage. Then, they will use mold testing to conduct air and/or surface sampling to determine mold type, levels, and treatment. Next, they should carefully secure the affected area to prevent mold contamination to non-affected areas while they work.
At North Star Services, we use cutting-edge equipment and follow protocols to return mold-contaminated properties to a healthy state and then retest the mold to verify treatment was successful.
We also have an emergency line open 24/7, so if your home, business or property gets struck by a water damage emergency in the middle of the night. Prompt response is crucial in order to avoid dealing with more severe complications like mold growth. All in all, your property in Middle Tennessee is safe in our hands.
Request A Free Inspection Today
As a certified IICRC restoration and remediation company in Nashville, Berry Hill & throughout Middle Tennessee, North Star Services, LLC uses state-of-the-art equipment to inspect and treat both commercial and residential properties. We provide free mold and other restoration inspections. And, are available 24/7, 365 days a year for emergencies such as water damage, fire damage, trauma cleanup, flood and storm damage and more. Contact us at 629-221-0638 or request a free estimate now.